Get LISNews via email! Enter Your Email Address:
We've just launched the website for the official "Librarians and Bibliophiles Havana Book Fair Tour" in Cuba from Saturday 14 to Saturday 21 February 2009.
It takes place during the 18th Havana International Book Fair where dozens of countries and scores of publishers exhibit their works.
It's a rare opportunity for professionals in library sciences, booksellers, educators and book lovers in general to get an unprecedented look into issues of freedom of expression directly from Cuban intellectuals, writers, librarians, publishers and curators.
If you're an American and your work involves any aspect of books, writing, publishing or education, you can join this program and visit the island legally. And we're glad to assist with your travel license.
The eight-day tour is chock-full of incredible activities. Tour participants are treated as honored guests while in Cuba and, in addition to spending significant time at the book fair they will:
* Visit museums, cultural and historical sites, libraries, publishing houses and attend special ceremonies
* Relish the island's best food, entertainment (including dance lessons), all in the five star comfort of the famed Hotel Habana Libre
* Take part in a special community sponsored block party for librarians and bibliophiles
* Meet with members of the Union of Cuban Artists and Writers (UNEAC), professors, library directors, publishing chiefs, and many other key literary personalities
* Tour the Museum of Literacy dedicated to the 380,000 young women and men who volunteered to teach reading and writing to their island compatriots in 1961
* Visit the famed hand made book publisher Ediciones Vigia in the city of Matanzas
* Spend a day on the wondrous white sand beaches and warm Caribbean waters of famed Varadero
* Our website details costs, flights, and an elaborate hour-by-hour itinerary that is amazing to view, even if you can't join us this year. Check it out at:
It's packed with photos and information on Cuba, Book Fair resources, and trip details and costs (so it is a little slow opening).
You can help increase awareness about Cuba by sharing this announcement with your friends and colleagues. We'd be grateful. Cuba Education Tours is a Vancouver Canada based organization dedicated to green, ethical travel that benefits Cubans and our guests who receive five star treatment round-the-clock from our Cuban and Canadian staff ensures worry free travel abroad.
Hoping to meet you in February 2009 at the 18th Havana International Book Fair.
All my best,
708 - 207 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H7 Canada
877-687-3817 Toll Free North America
604-677-2944 Vancouver and International
http://CubaFriends.com Many more Cuba culture and education tours
* B.C. Travelers Assurance Fund Registration No. 34338
* Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) No. 11338
* IATA Travel Industry Designator Service (TIDS) No. 96520852
* Communications, Energy and Paper Workers Union, CEP Local 2000, Unit 46
* Member: Canadian Network on Cuba (CNC)
* VanCity Credit Union Socially Responsible Banking member
* Official travel agency for the World Peace Forum Society 2006 Vancouver