Get LISNews via email! Enter Your Email Address:
Someone writes \"How a librarian became the GOP\'s \'secret weapon\'
As the first lady in Texas, she\'s proven herself comfortable not only with other women, who respond to her down-to-earth demeanor, but also with farmers, county officials, and even the likes of Kinky Friedman, the comic country-western singer and novelist, many of whose lyrics cannot be reprinted in this paper.
The satirist and animal lover was taken by her \"open-mindedness.\" Two years ago, along with raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for the state\'s public libraries and fighting for improved early education, Bush also agreed to co-chair, with her dog, a \"Bonefit\" for Mr. Friedman\'s Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch.
has a story that says the critisim is overblown, and they don\'t
understand the attacks.
I\'ve also collected a few other stories to throw in for a
"Mini Quickie" on the GLF. Read on for more... -- Read More
the Library of Congress announced Monday, Stanley Kunitz, 95, will become the 10th poet laureate of the United States in the fall. He was quoted as saying he will accept only if they don\'t make him move to D.C.
\"The reason I decided to accept this honor is that I want to do something for the young in this country,\" he said in a statement. \"I also want to stress the diversity of poetry in this country, in this `nation of nations,\' as (Walt) Whitman said.\"
Someone sent in This Story at cantonrep.com. The strike we\'ve been reporting on for a week or two has begun at The Stark County District Library. This is the first time workers have struck in Stark County. Some branches are open still, and they are trying to keep services going. Not wanting to take a side, I\'ll just leave out the usual story quote. A member of the Stark County District Library board of trustees has resigned to protest the way he said the board is handling a looming strike by library employees [Other Story]
A follow up on This Story on the site Contentville from Tuesday. Wired is now Reporting Contentville has now agreed all independent articles are to be processed through the Publications Rights Clearing House, that should keep your dissertation safe, or atleast make you a couple bucks.
\"It doesn\'t surprise me that writers are upset,\" magazine publisher Steven Brill said in a phone interview. \"If my articles were up there and I didn\'t know it, I\'d be really pissed off, too.\" -- Read More
Rory Litwin writes \"The Cuban Libraries Support Group has released a new report that effectively debunks those claims by \"Friends of Cuban Libraries,\" Robert Kent and Jorge Sanguinetty\'s propaganda project, of repression of \"independent librarians.\" The libraries in question are clearly not libraries but personal collections of typically 80 books or so, and the librarians are not librarians at all but have a variety of occupations. They are simply political dissidents whom \"Friends of Cuban Libraries\" is masquerading as librarians to generate sympathy. That they have duped IFLA\'s FAIFE and Amnesty International should not give them any credence; they are propagandists, pure and simple, and they are abusing the our own society\'s good feelings toward librarians. \"
This is quite a report on LC, celebrating its 200th anniversary this year. They have more than 9 million books, 11 million films and photos and more than 53 million manuscripts. They also put over a million largely historical things - like the papers of Presidents Washington and Lincoln - on the Web.
\"If the Library of Congress does not make significant progress, it will become a book museum that houses a collection of priceless materials, and the energy of cultural exploration and discovery will fade from its halls and go elsewhere,\" said committee chair James O\'Donnell\" -- Read More
Librarians and researchers have come together to protest high prices for journals at the website, \"Create Change\" at: arl.org/create/home.html
CREATE CHANGE is sponsored by the Association of Research libraries, the Association of College and Research Libraries (a division of the American Library Association), and SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition). Funding for this project has been provided by the three organizations and the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation. -- Read More
I really wanted to put this one under humor, even though it\'s more sad than funny. The National Science Foundation released a report, \"Science and Engineering Indicators 2000\", in this report, \"more than 70% of the people knew that the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around\", so... that means about 30% didn\'t know that? Is this even possible? Other interesting results-
-16% could define the Internet
-13% could accurately describe a molecule
-30% thought they were poorly informed -- Read More